To update the HVAC system at the nation’s first “green” residential high-rise located in Battery Park City, Manhattan, EMCOR Services New York/New Jersey provided turnkey replacement of two 480-ton gas-fired absorption chiller-heaters.
Because of our depth of expertise, we were able to create a viable rigging path 30 stories high and clear all path obstructions. We also helped eliminate disruption to internal common areas by using a crane for hoisting all major components.
We assisted in development of this plan and spec project, provided full construction management, commissioned the new equipment, and integrated it into their building management system.
The Solaire’s existing HVAC system had come to the end of its lifecycle, so they needed a new, efficient solution for heating and cooling. Since all equipment was being replaced concurrently, they also required portable utilities for the duration of the project.
To complete this replacement project, we:
- Created a rigging path through the façade of the lower roof bulkhead facing the mechanical equipment room
- Set up scaffolding
- Relocated solar panels
- Opened and shored a wall
- Cleared all equipment, piping, and ductwork from the rigging path
- Set up a portable chiller in the street while adhering to strict protocols of the Battery Park City Authority
- Utilized a hydraulic crane to hoist equipment, prefabricated pipe, and fittings into the MER
- Split the absorbers into four sections, then welded them back together under the supervision of the manufacturer
- Commissioned the new system in cooling mode, heating mode, free cooling, and simultaneous operation
- Fully integrated the new equipment into the existing building management system
The Solaire is the nation’s first residential high-rise to achieve LEED Gold® Certification. The building has a green roof, solar panels, wastewater recycling system, and electric vehicle charging ports.